Sunday, September 27, 2026

New Solari Simulation Now with AI


Years ago I wrote a Solari (split-flap) sign simulation.  A split-flap sign is one like you might have seen in Grand Central Station or Pennsylvania Station in years past.  It made this fabulous noise as it spun through the different letters and numbers on its way to its final destination.  It took me several months to write this program as I recall.  Lots of flexibility built in, table driven, etc, etc.

So I made it one of my AI coding tests.  I wrote a very loose prompt that evolved to 10 versions.  Within a day and a half, it was working.  I think that Claude Code was absolutely a value-added collaborator.  In other words, it added useful information and functionality that I had only implied.

In a few days, I hope to add a repository to Github so you can all install and download this program.




No comments:

Post a Comment