Friday, August 4, 2023

Another Old Friend Needs to Be Abandoned

Perhaps I would prefer not to know too much about old friends.  About 1988, NAME REDACTED lent Brad and I a Mitchell Camera for our test for the Abyss.  This was the famous YFS camera.  He went off to work with Rene Daalder, blessed be his name, who was an incredibly talented and self-destructive director who somehow acquired the rights to a variety of Beatles songs and attempted to make a film called "Strawberry Fields".  Lots of time was wasted and no movie got made, and I lost track of my friend. He reappeared just recently because I wanted material to do a memorial web page about Rene.  
 
And that is the problem because now I learn that REDACTED is a supporter of RFK, JR and a believer in a variety of vaccine conspiracy theories.  On top of that he is in business with Steve Churchill of "The Minds Eye" fame.  Well, the Minds Eye stole the Symbolics work and rescored it and did all this without a shred of permission from the creators of that work. 
 
And so, I have blocked my former friend and it makes me sad to know that he has lost his mind and keeps bad company.   The irony is that my former friend made a living for 18 years doing science visualization and yet he is one of the anti-science nuts.
 
I am not sure what the point of this is, beyond the idea that we have all changed by the last 20 years of politics in this country and not all friends from the past make the cut.


No comments:

Post a Comment