Sunday, January 1, 2023

Happy New Year or We May as Well be Optimistic

draft

Looking back at 2022 is complicated for me.  There is reason for hope, or at least the slope of the curve seems to be positive.  I dont believe that positive thinking necessarily results in a more positive outcome but at least it can make things more pleasant.
 
The problem is, or one of the problems is, that I have worked very hard to look at the world as realistically as I can and that was a bad idea.  Long ago, when the world was a different place, I was ... well ... deluded about how the world works. And because of luck and timing and a few other things, I got a lot done.  Fools may go where wise people fear to tread.  And yet it was painful and I was broke so I decided to spend some time figuring out what this "reality thing" was all about and that may have been a mistake because reality can be really unpleasant and not very charming or fun.  And I had forgotten to get a "trust fund" and that was another mistake.
 
So a middle ground is sought.  On the one hand, yes, its true we are really f*cked, and in so many ways.  And I contributed to my situation today.  The question becomes what can we do with the resources at hand, and that is problematic. So much easier to worry about institutional racism or war in europe or the bizarre beliefs of some of our fellow citizens.  These are things of great importance and also things I couldn't possibly do anything about. 
 
The world is just going to have to take care of itself while I try to make some progress on this "life" thing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment