This is the personal journal of Michael Wahrman. It is probably better for professional colleagues to not read this blog as I am honest and talk about many topics you are not supposed to talk about and most of my professional colleagues can not handle.
Sunday, September 8, 2013
Request for Information About the Origin of the .OBJ Format
I am looking for information on the origins of the .obj 3D object format. By the time I had arrived at Robert Abel & Associates in 1980 or so, it was already in use for our vector production system which ran on E&S Picture System 2s.
My question is where it came from originally. I had thought that it was indigenous to Abel's, but several people have told me that it wasn't and that it originated with Evans & Sutherland. This makes sense but I have not been able to confirm it.
The reason I am so interested is because I think I was instrumental in extending this horrible format into raster graphics. Its a long story and I want to get all my facts straight first.
If you know, or know someone at E&S I can talk to, leave a comment here or email me. Thanks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment