Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Observations on a Vegetable Garden in Santa Barbara vs Escondido


I am into my third season of a Santa Barbara container garden and I can make some comparisons to Escondido.  You might at first glance not think that there would be much difference or if there was that there would be a balance of good and bad things between the two locales but there isnt.  Santa Barbara seems to be superior in all the ways I measure.  This assumes, in both cases, that there is adequate sun for your designated plants and sufficient water.  
 
But given these requirements, in Santa Barbara we have much less problem with plants bolting.  I have basil and lettuce that have not yet bolted which would have been long gone in Escondido.  We also have less predators in Santa Barbara. I have had only one instance of tomato hornworm, no spider mites, and no aphids.  There is some of that fungus mold stuff for the tomato and bean leaves, the usual bordeaux solution seems to knock it back but it can get out of control.  
 
I dont know why Santa Barbara is so much better but I speculate that the moderation in weather (less hot, less cold) helps keep things from bolting.  




No comments:

Post a Comment