Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Letter to a Friend

draft

I think we know where we both stand, so why am I bothering you?  I am bothering you because I essentially have no one else to talk to (not quite true but almost true) and I like to vent my feelings.

I doubt I am going to blow anything up.  I may be able to leave the country but doing so requires that I solve a number of problems that have proven unsolvable in the past (there are a few wrinkles here that might work out because I havent tried everything and I do think there is promise in finding a marriage partner who wants a US citizenship and who has a European or UK citizenship with which to trade.... until they close that loophole).

I happen to agree with the editorial below, at least I think I do as far as I have read it and I know the author's work. 


There are huge differences between us and the Weimar example, we are not Germany between the wars.  Nor are we the Shah of Iran during the revolution.  But both examples do suggest one commonality: people were way too complacent that they could control the fanatics and that they did not represent a threat.  I say to you, not only do our right wing fascists represent a threat, they are 9/10ths of the way there and nothing less than immediate extreme response will help.  Now I know you dont believe that, and bipartisan, and cant we just get along, and who needs a Jan 6 commission.  But I think this is sheer and obvious lunacy.  Those who are not ready to go to the mattresses will never defend freedom they have been given enough chances and frankly, we failed.  I hope you get your children out in time.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment