Sunday, July 28, 2013

SIGGRAPH 2013 Post Mortem Delay

There will be a delay while I go to Los Angeles and deal with my various doctors.  Sorry about that.  I have about 10 or 20 posts that come from SIGGRAPH, which is too much material, and I want to be at my best when I write this up.

Among other things, we had a very interesting interview with the SIGGRAPH Executive Committee Nominations Committee, a number of very interesting conversations with past and present members of the Executive Committee, and a number of comments about the technical program.  I loved the awards talks, and hope they continue that every year.   I was able to force myself to watch the technical program, and it was very useful to me (the need to be forced has nothing to do with the technical program per se, it has to do with my ability to get up in the morning and go into a dark room at 9 AM).

We had a visitation from Harvie.  No Michael Naimark.  I missed the MIT Reception, unfortunately.  

Of great interest was the realization that Anaheim has a Chinese Islamic district, but that their restaurants were closed for Ramadan.


So this is called a zone plate, eh?  I used to call it a render torture pattern.

There is a tree to the front of the Anaheim Convention Center, in the front right of the Arena as you face the center, that has a history.  I do not know what it is.

To my amazement I was interviewed for the Pioneer's History project of Frank Foster and Joan Collins.  Its a complicated topic and like Rashomon has many points of view of people who were there but saw different things.

I tried to attend the electronic theatre for the first time since 1991, and walked out after the 7th or so film.  I have a problem with splatter movies.  The first film, which you can find below, was very amusing however.

The Centrifuge Research Project

More in the days to follow.

Special thanks to Tom Duff, Greg Turk, J Walt, Jerry Weil and others for trying to cheer me up.   MK Haley who was chair of SIGGRAPH this year spent many emails being very pleasant to me, and I appreciate that.  Special thanks also to Ken Perlin for financing this escapade indirectly through his project.   


No comments:

Post a Comment