Friday, June 21, 2013

I Am The Most Guilty (Administrative Notes 06/21/2013)


Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa.

I am guilty, I am the most guilty.  It has been hard, very hard, to face reality of another summer here and another SIGGRAPH approaching.   Although I am starting to work and having a little money is an amazing change in my situation, even so the real problems, the 800 lb chickens, are all still coming home to roost, and I am powerless to stop them.

There are about 10 blog posts in progress, each of which needs a solid dose of energy, focus and courage to finish.

The topics include:  when design and story combine with visual effects (an example from television), why the current changes in computer animation are not at all a surprise or even really a change, comments by real people as drawn from the internet about the bankruptcy of computer graphics in film, why and how SIGGRAPH lures children to their doom, why the recently announced Keynote speakers for SIGGRAPH is unbelievably cruel and uncaring, what it is exactly that I think SIGGRAPH should be doing that they are not, whether or not I have had some impact on a recent policy change at SIGGRAPH, the current dismal state of film in cinema.  Not to mention some of the history of computer puppeteering or at least my small part in it, as well as a discussion of the origins of the .obj file format, and other trivia.

I am not entirely sure who is reading this blog, but apparently people are so, thank you, whoever you may be.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing this blog. I've been following it for a while, and it has been sobering (but always interesting). I stumbled on it after listening to the "Is the VFX Industry Exploding?" podcast that Trey Stokes participated in, and he linked to your blog from the forum thread accompanying that show.
    Unfortunately I was one of the people caught up in the Digital Domain debacle from the closure of their studio in Florida last September. I've since landed on my feet, but between that experience and blogs like yours, Scott Squires, and Dave Rand I don't plan to walk blindly into another situation like that again. So please do continue to post, it is definitely appreciated.

    ReplyDelete