Friday, July 6, 2012

Obituary from The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh

As the first in a continuing series of important, entertaining and/or significant obituaries, consider the following from The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh.

They told me Francis Hinsley, they told me you were hung
With red protruding eye-balls, and black protruding tongue
I wept when I recalled how often you and I 
Had laughed about Los Angeles and now 'tis here you'll lie;
Here pickled in formaldehyde and painted like a whore,
Shrimp-pink, incorruptible, not lost nor gone before.


http://www.amazon.com/The-Loved-One-Evelyn-Waugh/dp/0316926086

This is a very short novel, and if you click on "search inside" on amazon.com, you can read parts of it online. This book is arguably the best written short novel I have ever read.   But you have to read it all the way to the end to see why.  Online, in parts, you can get only a certain distance.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this article. Personally, I think this material is great. I agree with much of your information here. It also motivates me to learn more. I await the next article with great anticipation. evertalk


    ReplyDelete
  2. Editor's note. I am so thrilled to have comments, that I am happy to publish anything. However, I suspect that this comment is actually directed to another post, though I don't know which one. I say that because he/she "agrees with much of your information here", and there is not much information in this post... Anyway, its nice that someone took the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete