Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Notes on the CA Driving Test

draft

Its a complicated story, but one of the last steps in getting my CA driving license back was to take a driving test (behind the wheel).  It was very complicated to get there, and lots of concerns about paperwork, but ultimately it did happen and I learned some things.

1. When you turn right, and there is a bike lane, you are expected to turn into that bike lane and turn right from there.  Which means that you are expected to look right as if you were making a lane change.

2. The last thing you do before a right turn is to look for pedestrians or bicycles (e.g. over your right shoulder).

3. They dont need you to look behind your shoulder (e.g. turn around) a lot, just a little to take a glimpse.

4. A pedestrian can be in the crosswalk as long as he/she is not too close on your side of the road.  Its a little confusing and I always err on the side of caution.

5. When turning left or right onto a one way street, there are many different lanes you can turn into, but pick one, and stick with it.  I wander a bit because I get confused about which lane I am supposed to be on.

6. No need to accelerate so much, my instructor said.

He was very nice and passed me, and maybe he did not have to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment