Monday, October 30, 2017

What I Have Learned About Stuff

draft

As my readers probably know, I am moving out of here at the end of the year. Almost everything will go into storage downstairs, and by everything I mean my books, my papers, my photographic negative, proof sheets and equipment, various computer parts and some furniture. The way this usually works, I never see this stuff again, but there is some possibility that one day I will have a stable place somewhere and will send a moving truck for it all.

This is not entirely true.  I will keep with me one car's worth of camping gear, books and hopefully my bicycle.  At least one laptop and maybe two.  But everything else needs to be thrown away or put into storage. 

I feel that I have learned my lesson and I hope you will learn and profit from my mistakes. The moral of the story is: “Buy less stuff”. In particular, unless you are in control of your living space, and know where your library will be and/or can afford to pay professionals to move things when that time comes, do yourself a favor and buy less stuff.

Second, when you have stuff that you do not absolutely need, throw it out now before you have to deal with it one future day.

Do yourself a favor and heed my words.



2 comments:

  1. I'm dealing with that in a big way. I'm doing some work on my house which has pushed all this to the surface. I'll say it: I have too much "stuff".

    I cut buying way back several years ago, but that doesn't deal with the past. Old textbooks, remnants of my previous business, random projects in partially completed states.

    The emotions in all this are about my stuff are strange. It's a mountain to sift through. Overwhelming to start. Guilt over old projects not completed, even though they were supposed to be fun. Saving them, but knowing I will likely never restart. Wanting not to be wasteful. Could someone else use the stuff, to avoid the landfill, and lessen my guilt? Who, when, how would make that happen?

    A scrap vendor and a rubbish truck are likely the final destination for most, but my house and my soul will be lighter for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I was just thinking for the hundredth time about "Hail (Heil) Collegiate". This has always bothered me, and I was delighted to discover that I am not alone. The secret society KKK bothered me too! Although the music is also found in the hymn "Glorious Things of Thee are Spoken" - it is still mostly identified with German nationalism - in my mind, anyway. I don't like Lawrence Welk either. Emily Yelton Ausband Class of '66.

    ReplyDelete