Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Administrative Notes for Fall 2014

draft

Alert readers of this web site will have noticed that there is a chance that a post made to this blog will not last much longer than a few hours or a day and then disappear. The reasons for this are several but basically comes down to my assessment of the whiny nature of the post vs. the humor or sarcasm vs. the added value, e.g. whether it contains useful information that I would want my readers to know at some point.   

I have to feel that the initial post has the possibility of turning into something reasonable after a half day or so of reedit and rewriting. If I do not see that progress towards something acceptable then I delete it, usually keeping the draft for future consideration.

Generally, but not always, there is the seed of a real post in each of these failed proto-posts, but for one reason or another it just is not making sufficient progress at this time.   

Only about 50% of the posts I spend many hours on actually gets to the blog. I am not completely sure why this is, but I think it is in part because it gets harder to put devoted effort into a post as I get busier on other things.  Before, I could spend all day on a post and just beat at it until it became acceptable, now it is much harder to do that.

I want to take this moment to thank all my investors and clients who have made this work a possibility.  I am still not making a living, but I am earning enough money to pay for expenses without having to lean on friends.  

There may be some effort to focus more on core themes of the blog in future months.  We will see how that works out.  These themes may be history / study guide to visual effects, the early days of computer graphics in the 1980s, Los Angeles in the 1960s and 1970s, and various aspects of the esoteric knowledge and its use in creating entertainment fiction.

Publishing notes:

The archive section on the right still cuts off the titles of posts, and since there is no user support for blogger, I have been unable to figure out how to fix it. Trust me, the templates for these things are not trivial to understand.

The labels for this blog need to be completely rethought. That is a many day project, if not longer.

Although I am not very punctual at managing the comments, I do appreciate them and wish there were more of them.

Thanks again.


No comments:

Post a Comment